We are working hard to plan this year’s Science Rendezvous festival, please check back closer to the May 13th event date for more details. In the mean time, check out the fun we had last year below:
We want to show you the ‘Great Science of Saint John, New Brunswick’. Saint John is a small research company performing world class biomedical, toxicology, drug discovery, and marine research. We will be showcasing research on:
- What Medicine Can You Get From Your Backyard?
- Plants and microorganisms have a great history as a source of many medicines to fight a range of infections, diseases and ailments. The UNB Natural Products Research Group will give a hands on demonstration of the work that is done to find new medicine from natural sources such as traditionally used medicinal plants of New Brunswick and the fungi that live within them.
- The Small Fish with a World of Possibilities.
- Since May 2013, research on a small fish called a zebrafish has been conducted in Saint John. This research has looked at the effects of pesticides on the fish’s brains, hearts and livers. Zebrafish is a common household fish for aquariums. Come visit us to see how this small fish has gone from a household pet to a powerful research model to address so many questions. Click the picture to the right to see a live zebrafish heart beating and come find out more about it.
- Addressing the Impact of Obesity and Diabetes on the Heart Health of New Brunswickers: Role of Medical School Research
- In New Brunswick, 63% of adults and 24% of children and youth are considered to be overweight or obese, which is significantly higher than the Canadian average. Obesity increases the risk for a variety of diseases, including type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease, and represents a major economic burden for the provincial health care system. Researchers at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick work towards improving the heart health of New Brunswickers, in particular those with obesity and diabetes. In collaboration with the New Brunswick Heart Centre, they hope to find new and effective ways to treat obesity and diabetes-induced cardiovascular disease.
Science Rendezvous allows world class Saint John research the opportunity to discuss their newest findings with the community in which they are doing the research. And of course! our partners at Let’s Talk Science UNBSJ will showcase some fun science demonstrations that will make all ages smile, well showing you that scientific phenomenons are around us everywhere to explore.